Feedback on the new website and logo design

Hi. I never used timescale, but I remember it from when I did some research about time series databases. I remember a very beautiful website, a very friendly logo and warm colors.

When I looked at the website again yesterday, I discovered the new design.

• White on black is hard to read. Pretty much no dark-theme anywhere uses a black background, and instead uses dark grey. Because it is a lot more comfortable to look at. The artistic designs are also exhausting to look at. You literally took #000000 and #ffffff. Nobody does that, and for good reasons.
  • I really liked that old tiger logo. It was the number one thing about your CI that stuck to my head, and now it’s gone.
  • Frutiger Aero bokeh circles in your background? That stuff was cool 15 years ago, but not anymore.
  • The color scheme. I don’t want to be offensive, and I’m sorry, but it really reminds me of yellow snow as a color. The complete lack of any color harmony is also problematic. You had orange and blue, and you stripped that down to that single light yellow color. That tiny amount of very light blue is negligible.

And in case anyone forgot how absolutely amazing your website looked a few months back, here is it for comparison:

I haven’t found an existing thread about this, and I just really wanted to make sure there is some sort of feedback for you to improve. So here you go. Having been pretty enthusiastic about art and design throughout most of my life, I’m rather confident in my opinion here. In the end it’s your decision of course. The competition (influxdb, mongodb) has much more aesthetically pleasing websites now.

1 Like

I mean, seriously, compare your new website to that of influxdb for example. https://www.influxdata.com/

How did that happen

• Why is everything faded, but then cut sharply on the left?
  • What is this supposed to be? A wheel of some sorts? A sledge?
  • If the fades are supposed to communicate “speed”, why are they going into all sorts of different directions? Still, absolutely no clue what exactly this is supposed to communicate.
  • The toggles look like the kind of stuff you would find on cheap amazon products: âś“amazing âś“better than the competition. This for sure isn’t an exhaustive list of features of timescale, why would those two things be the main features that require a special design to highlight them, and not others? It looks incredibly arbitrary.

Inconsistent design on lots of pages:

The “Power your crypto apps with Timescale. Learn How” banner makes you look less trustworthy to me by the way.

Not underlining or coloring links in the forum style is very problematic.

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.