New install failing to create extension

In brief:
Just installed postgresql-15 on an aarch64 Debian host, built timescale 2.11.1 from source, did make install, initdb, and updated the db conf file for the shared library preload and various other tweaks. In psql ran the create extension, and it told me to edit the config file (at the right path). I double checked the conf again and restarted postgresql again, retried the create extension command again with the same result.

TimescaleDB version: 2.11.1
PostgreSQL version: 15
Other software:
Platform: aarch64
Install method: source
Environment: Development

Hi @abrownsword, Is there any reason to not use the linux packages available?

You can learn how the packages are build looking the official workflows.

If you cannot make it, also check open issues with the packaging label, if there’s nothing related, you can also create one and share more details to help the team to fix it.

Historical reasons – I’ve been building/installing timescaledb this way for ~6 years now, and typically there hasn’t been an available package. I used to have to build postgresql itself! I’ll go check to see if that situation has changed.

Okay, I uninstalled my postgres-15 and related packages, and then followed the instructions to install the pre-built package ('apt install timescaledb-2-postgresql-15`). Same problem occurs.

wow! You’re a user since the beginning!

Please, report it on the github as you got same error. Maybe it’s a new incompatibility.

There’s already an open bug (I think it’s the same problem) in github, which is being ignored for a month.

Yes, I replied to it and they removed the waiting-for-author tag. No response yet though.

@juantxorena I’m sorry if you feel ignored. Certainly, it was not intentional.

I can imagine how frustrating it can be not to be able to install. Packaging is always a challenging topic considering all the options and combinations available we have.

Please, keep raising your hand, saying they’re facing the same issue by reacting, commenting, and bringing your details. It helps the team account for what’s happening in the community and prioritizes the most urgent tasks too.

If you can use docker temporarily, at least do not stuck in the task.