`lower bound cannot equal upper bound` error when executing `refresh_continuous_aggregate(...);`

In brief:
When executing refresh_continuous_aggregate(..); on a continuous aggregate I get a lower bound cannot equal upper bound error.

TimescaleDB version: 2.10.1
PostgreSQL version: 15.2
Platform: On prem/Self-hosted
Install method: Deb/Apt

I have two similar hypertables where I’m creating very similar continuous aggregates. The ones from (let’s say) ht_a are working well but the ones from ht_b are returning me this error when I call refresh_continuous_aggregate() on them. The main difference between the hypertables it’s that ht_a has aprox 50 columns and ht_b has aprox 100 columns. They are feed once per second and I’m making 1 minute, 1 hour, 1 day, 1 week & 1 month continuous aggregates using the time_bucket hyperfunction for the timestamp column and different aggregation functions for the “value” columns.

In ht_a all CA can be refreshed properly without any error, in ht_b any CA can’t be refreshed. Nor manually nor by background policies. I have tried playing with the start and end offsets, setting big and small updating intervals, but I always get the same kind of error. Otherwise, ht_b works properly.

When I launch the manual refresh it starts to process the query during some minutes and then returns the error. The elapsed time between the query launch and the returned error it’s always the same for the same update interval.

This the error log:

2023-03-30 11:48:45.880 UTC [3125037] pgadmin@genins ERROR:  lower bound cannot equal upper bound
2023-03-30 11:48:45.880 UTC [3125037] pgadmin@genins CONTEXT:  SQL statement "INSERT INTO _timescaledb_internal._materialized_hypertable_113 SELECT * FROM _timescaledb_internal._partial_view_113 AS I WHERE I."timestamp" >= '4714-11-24 00:00:00 BC' AND I."timestamp" < '2023-03-20 00:00:00' ;"
2023-03-30 11:48:45.880 UTC [3125037] pgadmin@genins STATEMENT:   CALL refresh_continuous_aggregate('timescale.blackpearl_week_rt',NULL,'1 week'::INTERVAL);

If any extra info it’s needed make comment and I will add it.

Hi @H25E, thanks for reporting. I also see you opened a bug here. Can you follow up in the issue and share a POC to allow us to try to reproduce it?

It was my mistake, one of the SELECT fields was HISTOGRAM(some_col, 1, 1, 10) AS some_col_hg,. I have updated the issue. You can delete the thread if you want, I don’t have the option I think.