Error during install: unknown major PG version: PostgreSQL 13.9

I uninstalled postgres 11 and installed version 13 which according to this should work with most versions of TimeScale: Timescale Documentation | Upgrade PostgreSQL

But I’m still getting the error: unknown major PG version: PostgreSQL 13.9

On the timescale website, I can’t find a link to a list of versions to install. But I managed at some point to find a zip install file that I’m using - I’m assuming it’s the latest stable version, but don’t know.

Any inputs that could help me through the install much appreciated. I have spent 4 hours trying to simply install Timescale.

Hi @hollowheights, thanks for reporting! I can imagine how frustrated you feel with such an issue like this.

Here are the official docs that can help you to install it properly.

Following the guidance, you can probably tweak the versions based on your needs and let us know if it does not work as expected.

Hi @jonatasdp

Thanks for the input. I have read the documentation from the beginning and checked the compatibility sections again and again. No effect, unfortunately.
I am at about 6 hours of focused effort at installing TimeScale. Hope it will be possible to install but I’m also considering other db systems instead as I can’t justify spending much more time on this.

I’m sorry for that.

Can you try it via docker? It’s much easier to set up and just run it from a container.

Also, if you’re in the test phase, you can try our cloud and test it during the trial period.

I haven’t used Docker before, but I can try that.
I’m just surprised that it can be this difficult to simply install it.
Before I go to try Docker: Do you have a link to a page where I can select various versions of Timescale? I could then try to see if the error persists across versions.

I see your point. It’s hard because we support multiple OS and multiple Postgresql versions.

Here, for example, you can see a list of Linux packages:

If you’re interested in the compatibility of the packages, you can also check the matrix builder that is a core utility used by several github workflows to release and deliver the matrix of possibilities to different package providers.

I’ll also forward your question internally and see how we can improve our docs to better exposes what version is where.

Hi @hollowheights, I was following up on your issue internally, and we’re going to improve in our docs to make it more clear during the installation process. Interestingly, your version seems compatible with 13.9, but it’s not.

I see several similar issues from past times as we evolve, upgrading and adding new versions.

Also, I learned that we have compatibility versions and we’re going to update and replicate this list on the installation docs to make it more clear too.