Continuous aggregate questions

Hello. I have a couple of questions:

1. Does the new features from 2.11.x of Update/Delete for compressed tables apply to compressed aggregates also ?
  2. Does an uncompressed continuous aggregate on top of a compressed tables have a restrictions/penalty/issues ? I need to have the aggregate uncompressed to be able to refresh/update it.
  3. I am using timeseries tables with 2 dimensions : time (1/week) and tenant.
    I see that the continuous aggregate only uses the time dimension (makes chunks only for weeks).
SELECT materialization_hypertable_schema  || '.' || materialization_hypertable_name   
FROM timescaledb_information.continuous_aggregates where view_name='myview_daily'

SELECT distinct tableoid::regclass, min(bucket_daily), max(bucket_daily)
FROM _timescaledb_internal._materialized_hypertable_50 
GROUP BY tableoid::regclass

Is there any way to indicate for continuous aggregate also the secondary dimension ?

Hi @muntdan, I don’t have all the options, but have you checked timescaledb_information.dimensions?
Maybe you can learn from the query from this view as well and find the source.

Can you elaborate more on the item 3?

The timescaledb_information.dimensions doesnt help on any of the questions only supports question number 3 that continuous aggregate view has now only 1 dimension: time.
In regards to questions 3 I am referring to secondary dimension available or hypertables:

I want to know if there is any option to do the same on a continuous aggregate view on top of a table with 2 dimension.

I never tried but probably you can try to add more dimensions for the underlying hypertable that is the backbone of any continuous aggregates. I never tried but as far as I remember it’s fully compatible, it’s just a matter of adding more dimensions. Maybe the API will not allow you, but I see the value on it.

It would be great if you create an issue to track this need. Probably more people can benefit from it too.

I created this one: Continuous Aggregates: support for secondary dimmension · Issue #6148 · timescale/timescaledb · GitHub

1 Like