Better continuous aggregates performance in TimescaleDB 2.7

Starting in TimescaleDB 2.7, continuous aggregates will be implementing a completely redesigned materialization process that solves many of the usability issues you may have encountered with continuous aggregates in the past. :fire:

In practice, this means that:

How to start using the new continuous aggregates

We recommend you upgrade to TimescaleDB 2.7 to start taking advantage of all these improvements in continuous aggregates:

By default, TimescaleDB 2.7 and later will use the new continuous aggregate format, which will be applied automatically to all your new continuous aggregates.

For your existing continuous aggregates - we recommend you recreate them once you’ve upgraded to TimescaleDB 2.7, to take advantage of these improvements. To do this, you need the original data by now - but we’re working on a migration path that will allow you to migrate to the new continuous aggregate format without the original data. We will keep you posted.

If you have any questions or feedback, please let us know. :pray: We’d love to hear about your experience with the new continuous aggregates!

4 Likes

A confusing thing is that there is no documentation saying that you cannot use OFFSET and ORIGIN in time_bucket when creating MATERIALIZED VIEW. The command will just say invalid time_bucket.

I am using TimescaleDB 2.7.0. The issue has been explained here: [Error while using origin parameter in time_bucket].
In fact, there is an open github issue too: Error creating continuous aggregate view with time_bucket origin/offset parameter · Issue #2265 · timescale/timescaledb · GitHub

Any comment?

1 Like

Hi ituralde! Thanks so much for raising the issue - I saw your previous post, I believe @charis and the rest of our docs team are already looking into how to make this more clear in our docs. :blush: This is already in our backlog!

1 Like