Is TimescaleDB suitable for

Hello,

I am in the process of researching and evaluating different tools for a custom logging service that we will use.
Our application is on premise for a number of clients, the app code + db is separate for each client. We want to move out of the main db some of the histories logging because it’s getting quite large. I wonder if TimescaleDB is suitable for such a task, with the following requirements:

1. Use a single instance of TimescaleDB for all clients
  2. Each client must have its data in separate hypertable(s) from the other clients
  3. There are multiple types of logs
  4. There are different retention policies based on the type of the log and the client.

Because of the last point I am thinking to create a hypertable for each client and log type, thus retention policy per client and log type is easily implemented. The downside is that for each client I have to create about 10 hypertables. Number of clients is currently about 70 and maximum number of clients about 1000 tops. So 10000 hypertables.

My questions:

1. Is such a structure with thousands of hypertables problematic for TimescaleDB?
  2. I would use 1 hypertable / 1 client, but I need to have different retention policy per log type as well.
  3. Would you say this is not a task for TimescaleDB but something else?

Many thanks,
Sorin